Ready To Go To Work For You

Child support payments don’t last indefinitely

by | Nov 6, 2018 | Child Support |

As a general rule, Arizona parents are required to provide financial assistance to their children. If parents get divorced, one will usually pay child support to the other even if no one has asked for it. There are also scenarios in which a parent may ask that support payments be stopped after an order is entered. This could occur if the custodial parent gets a raise at work or receives a large inheritance.

After receiving the financial boost, a custodial parent may not need any help from the other parent. In some cases, the noncustodial parent could experience a change in circumstance that makes it harder to make payments on time. Another scenario in which support payments may be stopped is if the child’s parents get back together. When that happens, both parents are presumed to be helping provide for the child.

If a custodial parent is receiving government benefits, it is unlikely that a court would allow a child support order to come to an end. Furthermore, custodial parents are under no obligation to ask that an order come to an end after receiving a financial windfall. However, the noncustodial parent could ask for a modified support order, and that request is likely to be granted based on the change in circumstances.

Those who owe child support could face negative consequences for failure to do so. Therefore, it may be a good idea to ask that a support order be modified. Alternatively, custodial parents could choose to return some or all of a payment made to them. An attorney may be able to help those seeking a modified order or help those who are owed back support. In some cases, government agencies could also assist parents who are seeking back child support payments.